Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thursdays It is not all knitting you know.


Hello,
belated Happy Easter to you. After my last post I kinda took stock of my blog and realised over the last little while it seems that all I do is knit. Of course you know I do all the other stuff like job and house work and I am pretty sure you don't want to hear about my assignments or cleaning the loo. But what about the other fun craft/domestic stuff that I hold dear and I sometimes forget to tell you about. What about that?
So I thought I would tell you about Thursdays. Thursday evenings to be precise. A whole lot of years ago more than five and less than ten. When I was doing the school run I used to look in a living room window and see a wonderful foundation pieced butterfly quilt hanging on the wall in spectacular batiks. I walked passed that window for a lot of months until finally one morning the owner and her mum were coming out of her door just as I was passing. I plucked up courage and asked her about it and sure enough she had made it herself! Her mum also had one. LittleBlueTortoise, J and I now get together pretty much every
Thursday. In the begining we just quilted. Now We sew, we knit and crochet all interspersed with laughter, chai tea and more often than not sampling of their baking. Last week they had made a Simnel Cake a yearly tradition with them. Only this year I took the recipe home with me and made my very own.



Can you notice anything different about it? yep 15 balls Simnel Cake is not only associated with Easter but also with mothers day and on Sunday I celebrated 15 years of Motherhood( but that is another knitting story). Over the last few months we have come to the conclusion that we work best when we are working on the same sewing project. Before Christmas we made an Angel from Madeline Millington I had bought a kit the previous year at Harrogate and was determined to make it up so LittleBlueTortoise also made one from my scraps and her own huge fabric stash.




Since Christmas we have been working on a little heart wall hanging. All of our little hearts are now appliqued but, we downed tools to each make this little fellow from Betz White.

The pattern wasn't really much and the instructions relied heavily on glue but, our little group was inspirational and I am really pleased with the result. Most of my felted fabric was from a charity shop or was begged or borrowed from other crafty friends. But the embroidery threads belonged mainly to my grandmother. They are old and in the main very fragile, they snap really easily but there was something really satisfying about being able to use them,

The little star window which was a scrap of fabric left over from a dress made when Elenya was small. I finished it just in time for Easter though LittleBlueTortoise assures me it is quite suitable to leave out for at least the whole of spring.

What do you think?
Arianwen xx

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, you can never have too much knitting, but sewing is fun as well! Having a crafty get-together each week sounds like great fun, too.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it,its so sweet.Will get to see you v soon,lots to catch up on.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog which caught my attention - England with all the things I love too (knitting, sewing, baking). I had a chuckle when I noticed the categories for your blog said "Baking Cats" ... oh my! We'll chalk that up to Google not being very concerned with appearances :)

    Looking forward to adding you to my Reader... blessings on you from South Dakota!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! If you have time, please leave a comment( I hadn't realised that you couldn't quite some time) . I love to know you are out there and what you think of my little offerings. If you have a blog leave me a link to that too and I will come and visit you :)

A x

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...